Russian Doping Scandal Update
- As already discussed in previous editions of Sync Up, the doping scandal in Russia is far from over. The latest development occurred on November 25, when a panel at the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) recommended that Russia face a four-year ban from global sports, and new restrictions on its athletes and teams at next year’s Olympics. Some of WADA’s suggested penalties include having Russian athletes (who have been cleared) compete at a second straight Olympic Games in neutral uniforms and collect any medals they win without the raising of the nation’s flag or the playing of its anthem, but also barring Russian government officials and representatives from attending major events and preventing the nation from bidding on new championships and moving any the country was set to host during the four-year period.
Road to Tokyo
- The first photos of the pool for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo have been unveiled to the public by the organizing committee. It’s still under construction, with a completion date in February, but it’s getting real!
- FINA has decided to award a spot to the duet of Spain to the 2020 Olympics after its results at the European Cup. Russia and Ukraine had qualified a duet there, and the latter qualified a team as well a few months afterwards at the 2019 FINA World Championships, which gave it an automatic duet spot as well. With Ukraine having two duet spots as a result, FINA awarded the European Cup duet quota to the next nation in line.
- Nevena Dimitrijevic and Jelena Kontic from Serbia traveled to Madrid for a training camp with Spain’s technical director Ana Montero.
Synchro Meets Singers
- The Italian national team made an appearance in the latest music video of Biagio Antonacci “Ci siamo capiti male.”
- Similary, Israel‘s team in the “Unfaithful” music video from the singer Dennis LLoyd.
Article by Christina Marmet