FINA has updated its schedule to release the dates of the 2019 Artistic Swimming World Series. This year, only eight competitions make the series instead of 10 in 2018.
The provisional schedule for the 2019 FINA World Series is:
- February 28 – March 3: French Open in Montreuil, France
- April 4 – 7: City to be confirmed in Greece
- April 19 – 21: Kazan, Russia
- April 27 – 29: Japan Open in Tokyo, Japan
- May 4 – 5: City to be confirmed in China
- May 24 – 26: Synchro America Open in Greensboro, U.S.A
- May 30 – June 1: Canadian Open in Quebec City, Canada
- May 31 – June 2: Spanish Open in Barcelona, Spain
All these nations have hosted the world series over the last one or two years, except Russia who is joining in for 2019 to host the third leg mid-April. Hungary, Slovakia and Uzbekistan will not be hosts this year.
It unfortunately appears that the last two meets of the tournament will happen on the same weekend, so teams will have to make a choice. The Canadian federation has had these dates posted on its website for a little while now, while the Spanish Open does indeed coincide with the dates of the ‘Trofeo Infantas de Espana’, which were held at the same time as the world series leg last year.
Article by Christina Marmet
Cover photo by Liz Corman.