The schedule for the 2020 FINA Artistic Swimming World Series (ASWS) has been released. Once again this season, the circuit will feature eight meets and the Super Final.
The 2020 ASWS will include the meets listed below:
- March 6 – 8: #1 French Open in Paris, France
- March 27 – 29: #2 in Hurghada, Egypt
- April 3 – 5: #3 Hellas Beetles Cup in Alexandroupoli, Greece
- April 9 – 11: #4 in Budapest, Hungary
- April 17 – 19: #5 in Kazan, Russia
- April 23 – 25: #6 China Open in Suzhou, China
- May 29 – 31: #7 Spanish Open in Madrid, Spain
- June 12 – 14: #8 Synchro America Open in Rochester, Mich., U.S.A
- June 19 – 21: Super Final in Windsor, Ont., Canada
Most of these nations have been hosting a world series stop or the super final every year, except for Egypt which is making its first and significant appearance on the circuit. Last time the nation hosted a major international event was in 2004 with the COMEN Cup in Cairo.
This will also be the first time where the world series circuit occurs in an Olympic year. Unsurprisingly, the Japan Open is not included in the schedule this season as the nation will already be hosting both the Olympic Games Qualification Tournament from April 30 – May 3, and the Olympic Games (synchro is from August 2 – 8).
In 2019, Japan won the solo category, Ukraine finished first in duet, Russia won the mixed duet, and Canada finished on top of the standings in the team category.
ARTICLE BY CHRISTINA MARMET
Cover photo by Giorgio Scala / Deepbluemedia